Friday, October 12, 2012

Verse Verses Traditional

I had not read a Verse Novel before Karma and I have to say is clearly changed my opinion of verse novels… not that I really had an opinion of verse novels so my as a expectation that they would be long fragmented and difficult to take in more than small doses.


What I got in Karma was a fluid, vivid, and descriptive experience that offered me so much more to my style of reading than the average narrative. I will be sure to pick up additional verse novels in the future for the pure pleasure of the reading experience.

If you can break down the sigma of the writing style I really can’t see how anyone who has managed to give one of these a shot wouldn’t at least find them readable, (provided the reading level matched the reader) regardless of liking the specific story or not. I think one of the big hurdles to overcome with verse novels is the concept that they are “not readable” some strange Shakespearian writing style that one must invest time in to understand and get the effect of. I like poetry and prose but when I do read I tend to like it in small doses. I often feel when I come across it like I just don’t have the time to get into it unless it’s in short snippets. Karma disproved that.

I’ve read books with Poetry in them but the fluid ability of a verse novel to incorporate the feel of poetry and carry a story makes it a powerful and enjoyable writing style that I can’t wait to get more of. Teens are likely more open than I in general I would absolutely recommend verse novels to teen readers.

I really like the vibrant feel that the verse style creates; I like the fluid nature, and that the writing offers a bit more variety. I enjoy all these things and look forward to reading more.

No comments:

Post a Comment