Monday, October 1, 2012

Dis the dystopian



I do think that All Good Children is an award winning novel. While it personally was not my cup of tea it’s generic enough to reach a wide audience while cramming in enough controversial subject matter to open discussions and thoughts on many ethical topics. From genetic profiling, over use of antidepressants, technology addiction, government controls, and monitoring, reality TV and interracial relationships (still controversial to some although less so today thankfully) the book runs the gamut of thought provoking subjects while some are more prevalent and relevant to the subject than others I notice the skill the author used in raising issues as a natural part of the story, giving the reader an opportunity to think on an issue then moving on fluidly with the story without flying off on tangents.

I am not sure how “gripping” the plot was that is the only point I having issues with I mean over all it a gripping plot but I feel you lose the quality “gripping” when you draw things out as extensively as they were in the book.  It just lacked so general element of excitement that is often captured by similar titles of the genre.

Also I come back to the fact that I don’t quite get certain male aspects of humor so the humor in the book didn’t really hit for me even though the write is female, she manages to for the most part pull off successfully a story form a male point of view… except when she is talking about Xavier and his supernatural ability to smell yummy then she is (in my opinion) writing like the biggest girl ever which was one point of her writing I had an issues with. Her writing is skillfully crafted and when she broke the flow with her attachment to Xavier’s character it was almost disappointing.
Missing the element of humor in the story and having a long plot lacking much action outside of sports I just can’t agree that the story was gripping, the plot maybe but the actual story fell short. The story highlights creativity, individuality and non-conformity. The aspects of creative expression and rebellious nature are the back bone of the main character and I suppose the characters were memorable enough since I do recall their names.

I think the novel is also general enough it the “time setting” that it will not become easily dated. When you look at the technologies she has used in her book it’s at a level that someone could have read the book 50 years ago and followed it before we had the internet, and I can absolutely see how it will stand the test of time as a story of non-conformity.  The content in the book is very well presented but I do feel a few additional “hooks” to hold the reader’s attention, and add some spice to the duller parts where the story dragged were much needed.

I’d suggest it for teens as something they should read, but I’d also pay attention to feedback from them if I was told by readers or the age group that the book is as slow as I felt it was I would hesitate to recommend it to anyone other than fans of the genre. I love fantasy so a slow fantasy novel likely won’t bother me to much but for someone who isn’t a fan of the genre it can be painful to keep reading a book they don’t really like the concept of to begin with. That’s a shame too because I do feel the book has an extensive amount to offer young readers in content and context.

No comments:

Post a Comment