Among Others by Jo Walton... eh... in all fairness it's difficult to be objective about a book you don't particularly like, and I'm pretty sure it's entirely scientifically impossible to be objective about a book you don't like where the main character reminds you painfully of an ex girlfriend. However let's give it a shot shall we?
The characterization of this book can be viewed as somewhat interesting since in my (absolutely non educated guess) Morwenna has a text book case of Asperger's Syndrome, however this also makes her a somewhat unlikeable character to those with a fairly steady psychological profile as she comes off as high strung, selfish, unreliable, and many of her social problems seem painfully self inflicted. Although Morwenna's musings on Lesbians are highly amusing since I've personally only ever had men share with me their thoughts and musings of how lesbians see communal woman’s showers and change rooms it's rather interesting to gain a straight girl perspective on the matter. I laughed.
The setting of the book lends itself to the fantasy aspect of the novel, bringing in aspects of folklore. As we discussed in class the time frame the book was set in to be per technology to convey the isolation of loneliness before computers allowed us to reach out to a larger pool of people to interact with to those who can't muster the social conviction, have a hard lot of being a social outcast. While I can agree with the perspective I just found that this theme detracted from my reading experience because I don't agree with it. Since internet interactions in and of themselves are a good percentage of fantasy and extremely malleable to personal perspective, I'm not so certain that what technology does to rectify loneliness isn't outweighed by the escapism of it. In the technology age it is perfectly acceptable to have imaginary friends as long as someone happens to be typing them out on the other end. It's not that the difference between real and imaginary bothers me so much, but the alarming and increasing amount of people who can seem to tell the difference irks me because personally I'd love to be that far in denial, however I'm not sure the end result makes you a better person.
Personally what I did like was the time setting of the book on the points that it is an adult novel. The
The tone of the novel comes off more depressing based on the slow pacing of the book, not that I have a problem so much with depressing but are all good adult novels depressing? The tone of the book just really detracted from the reading for me because when I think of fantasy I'm looking for more of a back and white, with upbeat story line, and I think I kind of had that expectation when I saw the genre on the reading list then when I got to it, it so clearly wasn't what I wanted. I just don't understand why award winning books have to be so depressing. I do get the aspect of conflict but isn't their some creative way to be upbeat that is worthy of an award?
The language of the novel threw me a bit because it's not really written in the accent I would imagine the character to have given the setting, however every now and then regional slang pops up at random like an actor falling in and out of an accent. It makes the book harder to read with out adding all that much to it and personally I found it distracting.
No comments:
Post a Comment