My first thought of reading The Sisters Brothers by Patrick deWitt evoked memories of Dr. Quinn Medicine Woman, which is about the only ongoing relationship I’ve had with the western genre, and it was a forced one being that it was the only thing on the four channels of TV I grew up with, that had a plot and showed Sunday evening. While I knew just from the title that the context of the book was likely to be very different than my childhood memories of westerns, I cannot say I was very excited or captivated by thought of reading a western book.When I actually got into the reading I have to say the author does an excellent job of creating the “head space” of the main character. I like the internal dialogue and narration of the character. The story made me crave food cooked over an open fire, and it was a gem of a reading experience to see a cowboy struggle with weight loss with all the conviction, resolve and mentality of the average woman and experience pretty much the same issues and utter defeat in the challenge. Also had fun inserting gay cowboy subtext between Warm and Percy as I was reading but I’m not sure that was an enjoyment the author intended the reader to take away from the novel.
Did the characters really change in the end? I don’t think so, so much as the world they occupy changed. Eli speaks toward the end of the novel about a change in how he and his brother conversed after their last adventure, how they were never quite as open with each other after their bounty hunting days (did I mention the foreshadowing in this book totally wrecks the suspense.) it shows more a change in social expectations I think rather than actual change in character.
Charlie on the other hand may have changed more as a character if we decide to infer that he goes on living a non-violent life and dials back the substance abuse. That being said with the loss of his hand in real life I wouldn’t bet on someone with I fondness for morphine and alcohol to turn their life around after the loss of his hand, even Elie as much as admits in the novel Charlie was at his most magnificent as a killer. He has yet to survive being something he is not, sadly (although seriously if you're a killer I have a hard time feeling sad about it) he doesn't have much of an option being that he lost his hand.
To sum it up the Sisters Brothers, is a character driven literary western that hosts a standard bounty hunter plot line.
No comments:
Post a Comment