Alright so maybe there is a reason I never went into marketing, but the term used “Really Simple Syndication” seems to be a misnomer for a lot of people. Personally I think the name is partly to blame for lack of the applications usability “really simple” two words that imply “If you don’t get this you are kind of a dummy” followed by a word a lot of people will be punching into Google “syndication” just to find the definition of, only to read the definition and go “well I give up”.
RSS feeds are one of the most the customizable, useable and possibly addicting social media aspects on the web, because anyone can use them for information on just about anything. Your mother can get the latest recipe from Martha Stewart on her laptop, your dad can get his stock market updates on his smart phone and you brother can get the release dates on the latest comic books at the local comic shop on his IPod. Can you believe that I’ve never used them?
Yep it’s true turns out when you spend eight hours a day on the internet for work, you actually bank enough time to look things up manually ( I like to be pleasantly surprised by updates on the sites I use I'm weird like that) and I’m not one for mobile devices so this class was actually my very first RSS feed subscription. It is for the Boston Public Library and you can view it on my blog side bar. Yes it really is simple and I am no longer amazed my father was able to figure it out on his own (although I must admit he’s had me pretty impressed for the longest time) While you're checking out the RSS feed of Boston Public on the side bar why not subscribe to my feed as well. Yep even this humble little blog can have an RSS feed update you on my new posts with the click of a little orange button.
Using words like “Stay up to date on the latest…. By clicking here!” are good terms that are approachable to users of all technical levels. Linking people to information on RSS feeds is a good idea too but it’s the second step, you have to get them using it before they will want to learn more. Show them it’s useful then they will want to learn. When they want to learn the second step is having the links and information for them available. The order in which you chose to execute these steps could make a big difference in the number of people who use your RSS feed. The tactics you use to introduce users to your RSS are up to your imagination, and can extend to information sessions in a real world library information sessions. It all comes down to the magic of marketing and networking. Remember the prime goal is to get your RSS Read by Someone Sometimes.

No comments:
Post a Comment